Private care model The Physique Store launched a examine on plastic waste earlier this yr, wanting into client habits in throwing away beauty plastics in america. The examine lined what will get thrown away, how a lot and what the habits round beauty plastics are.
Microplastic air pollution has been discovered throughout ecosystems, together with waterways, in fish and on among the excessive peaks on this planet.
Because the yr rounds the nook to Plastic Free July, listed below are three of the important thing takeaways from The Physique Store’s “Physique Plastic Pile Up” examine.
The highest ten cosmetics plastic waste objects
The examine ranked the cosmetics trade’s high ten plastic waste objects by amount each month, declaring that many on a regular basis private care objects normally embrace plastic packaging elements.
The highest ten mostly thrown away cosmetics plastics had been:
- Razors, 385 million models
- Shampoo, 369 million models
- Deodorant, 367 million models
- Toothbrushes, 350 million models
- Bathe gel, 287 million models
- Face wash, 262 million models
- Conditioner, 248 million models
- Physique moisturizer, 245 million models
- Physique lotion, 244 million models
- Hair brushes, 217 million models
To place these numbers in perspective, The Physique Store mentioned there are thrice as many razors thrown away month-to-month as there are homes in america.
Recycling will not be made equal throughout US cities
Among the many high 21 cities within the US for plastic recycling, the examine discovered a 38-point hole, with New York Metropolis main with 65.5% of survey respondents saying they repeatedly recycle and Indianapolis main the rear with 27.5%.
Based on rePurpose International, an impartial group that does plastic neutrality for client product manufacturers, round 75% of plastic recycled within the US, Canada, the UK and Eire results in landfills in international locations like India, Indonesia and Vietnam.
Shoppers say they’re serious about packaging sustainability
“Physique Plastic Pile Up” additionally surveyed US customers on their private care buying habits as they relate to plastic packaging.
The examine discovered that:
- 54% of customers mentioned they’re extra prone to buy from manufacturers utilizing sustainable packaging and lowering plastic waste
- Half of customers are attempting to cut back their beauty plastic consumption
- 43% of customers solely purchase merchandise from manufacturers which have little to no plastic
These outcomes had been from a survey of two,004 customers.